Monday, September 12, 2005

deja vu

No I am not talking about the strip club in downtown Minneapolis. I had the exact same night on Friday and Saturday. It was actually kind of creepy but I will give you the play by play. Both nights ended started out at the AQA Hotel which is odd that two parties would be held at the same place in a city of 100,000. In any case both nights also ended with at the same karaoke place as well. On Friday night I was with the ALT's in the Tsubame-Sanjo area which was nice because most of us new each other already from previous engagements. Usually the welcome events are in the first month we are here in order to help us get to know each other but for some reason ours go postponed.


Karaoke was at a place called manekineko, which is the Japanese good luck sign of a cat waving its paw. What a better way to be rocking out than in a place that has a lucky kitty waving at you. We obviously have way too much fun with all you can drink karaoke and no one cares if you carry a bad tune or can't sing at all, like me. I am excited to take Gavin out to karaoke because he can actually sing really well. People who can actually sing are superstars around here, probably because most of us are so bad. Take Natasha and Melissa are great singers so naturally everyone wants them to sing once the music starts. Me on the other hand... well I am just known for being crazy, at least that is what they say to my face.


Ding... round 2 of the enkai's except this time it is with my teachers from Ojima Junior High School. Which by the way is my favorite of the middle schools because the teachers are so laid back and the students are so friendly. Granted it is about a fourth the size of my other schools so I actually get to see all my students every time I visit. Plus they are always excited when I get involved with the students rather than speak at them. Anyway, the enkai was after sports day (which I will explain in a later blog) so we were all a bit tired but not too tired to have some much deserved food and drink. It is always fun to have the enkai's with the teachers because by the end the English gets busted out.


The only differentiation between the two nights was the pitstop at a local ramen shop. It was here that we further feasted beyond what we had already stuffed our faces with. However, I will tell you that ramen is not only great drunk food but awesome hangover food. If you are ever in Japan definitely find the ramen shops so that you have easy access when you might not be feeling all that with it upstairs. Obviously we continued on from here stopping at 7eleven so that we could pick up some drinks and head to manekineko karaoke. That ended my weekend of chaos because it luckily rained on Sunday so that my sports day at Nichu got postponed. I doubt I could have survived another day of sports and drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home