Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I'll shabu shabu you

Last night I had people over for dinner. It was all organized for Grace but apparently I have the coolest apartment out of the three of us in my building so we had dinner here. Our Japanese friend, Makiko, came and helped with the feast. Shabu shabu (which is Korean I believe) is when you have boiling water and then you put vegetables and meat in to let it cook for a few minutes. Afterwards, you take the food out of the boiling water and dip it into sauce that you have in your bowl. It actually goes by really quickly once you get started. We all just stood around in a circle eating food and talking. It got kind of toasty in my apartment and the door had to be opened for a bit to let some cool air from the typhoon come in. Yes, you read it right, we had a typhoon again. What is that, natural disaster number four? Everyone made it back safe and sound meaning that the natural disasters really aren't too bad, at least so far.


Afterward shabu shabu we enjoyed some good ole socializing. Part of which involved digging into my stash of candy that I have managed to obtain. A lot of it had to do with the fact that I received my box from home last weekend and in it I had put four bags of candy. I guess it helps that I remembered some serious American candy withdrawals last time I was here. Now if only I would have remembered that there isn't any macaroni and cheese over here either. Anyways, there was also some drinking followed by an intense game of uno. What a great card game! Usually about twice a week we go to the movie theater but tonight board game and dinner replaced that. Hopefully in the future we will get on a decent rotation between movies and board games because the Fantastic Four is coming out in about a week. Who's way too excited? This guy!

1 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Kristi said...

Oh my God, I'll totally bring you some macaroni and cheese on Wednesday. :) I keep forgetting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home