Monday, January 16, 2006

snowballin

Just when you thought that I might be done with the natural disasters the snow started to fall and 3 meters later decided to stop. Thankfully all this happened right after I left for Tokyo, which was lucky because the next day the trains and buses were all shut down because of the snowfall. The prefecture actually made world news yet again and if you want to read the article you can click on the link.

Actually Sanjo is not in the part of the prefecture that was hit the worst but every time I want to go snowboarding it is like entering snow world. This upcoming weekend I am going back to my homestay in order to partake in some more snowboarding. Shiozawa is actually one of the main areas that the avalanches have been happening so if you don't hear from me after next weekend, you know why. Just kidding. My homestay is way too over protective of me to go anywhere near an avalanche zone and it is just exciting to have the opportunity to go snowboarding again.


Traveling to go snowboarding last weekend reminded me a lot of the first time I went to Colorado with my dad to go skiing. The snow is so high that they measure it with huge poles on the side of the road. Needless to say the little sprinklers do not manage to do the trick, instead they have huge trucks that are like gigantic snow blowers. Pretty cool but you would never want to be in the path of one. Those coupled with actual snow plows apparently does the trick in these neck of the woods. Melissa and I were lucky last weekend to never really get slowed down by any of the machinery. Hopefully it will stay that way the rest of the winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home